The beautiful village of Oderzo, once named Opitergium (from the Venetoi dialect “terg” meaning Square) is located on the borders of East Veneto, traversed by the river Monticano and it is well known as the centre of this highly agricultural land.
The earliest settlements of the area can be dated to Iron Age, around the 10th century Bc, and then thanks to the “romanization”, with the construction of Postumia Road finished in 148 Bc, the city become onf of the most important Roman municipium. The Roman Era witnessed prodigious building projects including a forum, a basilica, temples and many private homes.
The town, which had grown year by year, became in 1380 s stable possession of the Repubblic of Venice and, according to tradition the first Doge of Venice came from Oderzo.
The city in 1886 was annexed to the Kingdom of Italy and unfortunately it was seriously damaged during the First World War: but today Oderzo still preserves Gothic porticoed houses and Renaissance palaces.
The river Monticano flows through the city’s architecture bounded by the ample Piazza Grande, one of the most known squares of Veneto region for its particular shape, with its late Gothic Duomo (with 16th century additions) flanked by the belltower, Il Torresin, orginally part of the now vanished city walls. The Duomo houses canvasses by Palma il Giovane and Pomponio Amalteo. Along Via Mazzini the Roman remains are visible rising from the earth, from the forumto the basilica, including several houses and also inside one of the most popular restaurant of the city.